70% Of Businesses That Suffer A Major Data Loss Are Out Of Business Within 18 Months. Source: IDC, www.idc.com
It is not difficult to avoid that kind of loss. If you do nothing else, do this:
- Regularly backup your data and keep a copy of it off site.
- Protect your systems with a firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware.
- Keep your software up-to-date to prevent security breaches.
- Have an IT professional look over your systems and offer suggestions for improvement.
Legend for above chart
1. Lost or stolen laptops
2. Improperly disposed of computer equipment
3. User errors
4. Improperly transferred backup media
5. Inappropriate access to IT resources
6. Insufficient controls on business procedures
7. Insufficient controls on IT procedures
8. Internet threats, attacks and hacks
9. Employee manipulation and malfeasance
10. Accident and damage to computing equipment
11. Inappropriate usage of IT resources
12. Violation of policies
13. Unauthorized access to IT resourced
14. Insufficient auditing, monitoring and reporting
15. IT vulnerabilities
16. Insufficient IT controls